Did You Know . . .
Fulton County . . .
. . . was named for Robert Fulton who invented the first successful steamboat in 1807.
. . . was part of the lands set aside to be used as payment to veterans of the War of 1812.
. . . was established five years after Illinois became a state in 1823.
. . . extended all of the way to the northern boundary of the state including present day Chicago between 1823 and 1825.
. . . now has a population of 37,069.
Astoria was laid out in 1836 as a small village called Washington. It was relocated and platted as Vienna in 1837, but that name was already taken; so, it was renamed Astoria by a special charter in 1839. The new name was chosen to honor John Jacob Astor, the renowned fur trader and millionaire, who, it is said, owned a quarter section of land on or near where Astoria now lies.
Known as “The Garden Spot of Fulton County,” Astoria greets downtown visitors with a beautiful city park, featuring a turn-of-the-century bandstand, quaint lamp posts, and butterfly garden. This park also hosts visitors and vendors during the Scenic Drive Fall Festival. Hughes Park on the south edge of town offers a covered pavilion for picnicking, sports facilities and playground equipment.
Those who have seen the movie “Ghost of Spoon River,” may recognize Astoria locations from scenes in the film, including the city park and the old brick Town Hall which now houses the Astoria Fire Protection District.
Travel services in Astoria include gasoline, restaurants, grocery, ATM banking, and convenience stores.