Did You Know . . .
Fulton County . . .
. . . was named for Robert Fulton who invented the first successful steamboat in 1807.
. . . was part of the lands set aside to be used as payment to veterans of the War of 1812.
. . . was established five years after Illinois became a state in 1823.
. . . extended all of the way to the northern boundary of the state including present day Chicago between 1823 and 1825.
. . . now has a population of 37,069.
Formerly the site of a 2000 year old Indian village and burial mound group, the Village of Liverpool was founded in 1836. Shortly after 1850 a plank road was built, connecting Liverpool to the manufacturers in Canton. As the railroads captured a larger share of what had once been river commerce, Liverpool’s importance diminished. However, a thriving fishing and hunting industry provided several decades of relative prosperity in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
By 1920, the levee construction and drainage of wetlands and backwater lakes transformed the floodplain into row-crop agriculture. Liverpool still offers river access for sport and recreation. A boat ramp, parking lot, and levee top walking trail, offer a range of activities.
Travel services include a auto alignment shop.