Did You Know . . .
Fulton County . . .
. . . was named for Robert Fulton who invented the first successful steamboat in 1807.
. . . was part of the lands set aside to be used as payment to veterans of the War of 1812.
. . . was established five years after Illinois became a state in 1823.
. . . extended all of the way to the northern boundary of the state including present day Chicago between 1823 and 1825.
. . . now has a population of 37,069.
Homes for workers sprang up as mining boomed in this part of Fulton County. Thought to be one of the richest sources of coal in Illinois, immigrant miners arrived from Wales, England, Croatia, Italy, Hungary, and other countries as well. The town was named for St. David, the patron saint of Wales. It was established in 1886, along the railroad spur running from Canton to the nearby mines. Many of the first miners were Mormons, so the earliest church established in St. David was a Mormon Church.
Village Park located on Main Street contains a ball diamond (named in honor of John Perardi), playground area and the Village Memorial Board. The other park, called 40 Acres Park, located on the western side of town contains a ball diamond and is also the location of the Village Hall. Travel services in St. David include convenience store, gasoline, and ATM banking (Casey’s General Store). A veteran’s memorial is located along Main Street, near the post office.