The villages of Table Grove, Ipava, and Bernadotte were part of national mobilization efforts to win World War II. Camp Ellis, was the largest U.S. Army training facility of its kind in the nation during World War II. Farmers vacated 17,800 acres so that construction of the training camp for service forces could begin, including quartermaster, medical, combat and engineering units. As many as 40,000 soldiers were trained at one time, and in 1943 there were 2,672 prisoners of war.
The area occupied by Camp Ellis returned to individual ownership in the 1950s, and only a few signs of the Camp’s existence remain. Portions of the rifle range, water towers and part of the water processing plant near Bernadotte are all that remain. The area east and northeast of Table Grove is still referred to by local folks as “The Camp.”